Monday, July 16, 2007

July 15, 2007


We were at the house bright and early. Larry came to help for the day and we arranged for Kenny to come help get us started. Donnie was concerned about getting the boards running straight in the beginning.

I marked the beams and distances for the wiring and Donnie routered and laid the wire. It was actually less trouble than we expected.

We had a few mishaps starting the planks but now that they have a system and pattern worked out it should be fine. We will be face nailing the boards on every 4th beam and I wanted a pattern like in our current house of just one line of nails, not nails everywhere. I think it's going to work out and I also think the mistakes that were made in the beginning will actually be covered by the tile in the upstairs bathroom.

We covered the planks with tyvek and then OSB for protection. That will keep the weather off but more importantly keep workers from walking on the clean boards while working on the upstairs and the roof.

Donnie will probably spend the next week working on the planks. His Dad is coming to help Monday and then my Dad will be home and ready to help Thursday.

We're expecting the foundation insulation to arrive tomorrow. They can work on that when they need a break from the planks I guess! As soon as it is installed we need Trent to come and do the backfilling. It will be so much nicer to work on the house with dirt up to the height we want instead of a big moat around the place.

I'm a bit concerned about the final grade level. I was pretty sure the foundation was being built a foot too high and it looks like it it. The house is sticking too far out of the ground for my taste and then there is the 12 inch rise due to the conventional floor joists before the doorway. I'm not sure how it will work out but I need to be there when it's being done so I can decide how best to deal with it. I don't want a house sticking way out of the ground and I don't really like the idea of a big slope going up to the house on all sides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home